Archived Support Site

This support site is archived. You can view the old support discussions but you cannot post new discussions.

Can we publish multiple items at once?

Laurence Cope

04 Nov, 2014 05:56 PM

My customer makes massive database changes to all its products and options (matrix or grid) every 6 months. It takes them weeks! They would not want to publish the changes as they go along. They want to make all changes, not have them publiched, then when all is finished publish them all in one go.

Can Better Workflow do this?

Thanks
Laurence

1. 1 Posted by Laurence Cope on 04 Nov, 2014 08:10 PM

Also, does better workflow work with Revisions OK? Will Revisions still work for live entries?
    Thanks

2. 2 Posted by Rob Hodges on 05 Nov, 2014 04:09 PM

Hi Laurence,

Unfortunately because Better Workflow has to create a 'copy' of the entry, the built in EE entry 'publish dates' are the closest things you would get to this. Also, you would need to make sure the entry was 'live' for this to work properly.

As for revisions, again, revisions would work only with 'live' versions of an entry, not a draft version.

Thanks,

Rob

3. 3 Posted by Laurence Cope on 05 Nov, 2014 07:24 PM

Hi Rob. I am not sure I understand your reply... Are you saying Better Workflow will not be able to publish many entries in one go? So we would have to publish each one manually, or set a publish date in the future or something? If this is the case, is there not some script we can write to do whatever BW does to publish one page, and loop through it?

About the revisions, thats fine, we want to rely on revisions of live entries, I just wanted to make sure BW didn't somehow interfere with this.

Thanks

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Malcolm Elswort... on 06 Nov, 2014 11:51 AM

Hi Laurence,

To publish a BWF draft requires running through the native EE entry save process so we hit all the hooks. We have looked into ways to doing this programatically but have not found a reliable solution. So you are correct when you say that you would need to publish each draft entry manually.

Setting the entry date in the future will also not work I'm afraid as this only effects the live (published) version of an entry, not the draft one.

Scheduling the publishing of a draft is a frequently requested feature but is not something we have found a way of doing.

Sorry we can't help more.

Best wishes,
    Malcolm

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac