Archived Support Site

This support site is archived. You can view the old support discussions but you cannot post new discussions.

Any way to use Better Workflow with Postmaster Entry Notification?

Joshua McLemore

29 Apr, 2015 02:45 PM

I have a few different channels that I need to send out an email notification to a mailing list (using MailChimp) when new entries are added and this works perfectly with Postmaster. The only problem is, it doesn’t work at all when I’m using Better Workflow which I need to use on those channels for the previewing ability.

Does anyone or the developer know of a way that I can get that working? Is there a hook I can add (even custom) that might make this work? I have searched but thus far, haven’t been able to find a solution.

Thanks so much for any help.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Malcolm Elswort... on 30 Apr, 2015 12:07 PM

Hi Joshua,

The adding of a new entry is not really effected by BWF - all the native hooks are still hit so this shouldn't effect Postmaster Entry Notification. Do you get any error logging from Postmaster Entry Notification.

You can look at the BWF notify user hook - https://objectivehtml.com/postmaster/hooks/bwf-notify-users - but this is only triggered when an existing entry is updated - not when a new entry is added.

If you can send over a copy of Postmaster Entry Notification we will install in here and see if we can replicate the error.

Many thanks,
    Malcolm

2. 2 Posted by Joshua McLemore on 30 Apr, 2015 01:14 PM

Hello Malcolm,
    First off, thank you. I appreciate you helping me get these two modules working together. We love BWF which is why I can’t just turn it off for these channels and call it good. So, thank you.
    I'm not sure what's going on here. There aren't any errors in the error log and I just know that if I turn off BWF on the channel, Postmaster works. It fires and sends the email (on new or edits). If I turn BWF back on, it doesn't. So I just assumed it was a native hook that wasn't being called with BWF that Postmaster is using. 
    Anyhow, I've attached a copy of Postmaster for you to take a look at. Again, thanks so much. If you can help me get this working, you'll be my hero for at least a couple of weeks. Maybe a full month. ;-) Joshua
     To: [email blocked]
     Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2015 7:07 AM
     Subject: Re: Any way to use Better Workflow with Postmaster Entry Notification? [Questions #2886]

#yiv7613278195 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv7613278195 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Iain Bean on 11 May, 2015 10:46 AM

Hi Joshua,

Really sorry that it's taken so long to get back to you regarding this issue - we've been super busy in the office.

Thanks for sending us the extension. We've now got BWF and Postmaster installed on a test ExpressionEngine install, but we're struggling to reproduce the issue.

Could you provide us with a little bit more information on how exactly you're using postmaster? - Are you just using a parcel with the entry triggers? Could you send us a screenshot of the 'Edit Parcel' screen? (with any personal information hidden, of course)

Thanks,
    Iain

4. 4 Posted by Joshua McLemore on 11 May, 2015 01:21 PM

Hello Lain,
    No worries at all. I'm simply grateful that you are willing to take a look!
    To answer your question; yes we are using this to simply send out an email to a MailChimp list we have when an entry is posted. It's for our news and stories section of our site so that people can subscribe and get those news stories and others when they happen in real time. So that's what we are trying to accomplish.
    Attached is a screenshot of the edit parcel screen. While trying to get this to work, I have this set to send on new and edited entries, but eventually that will just be new. And I will use the "send once" option as well but right now I have that set to false for testing.
    Let me know if I can provide more information or if it's helpful, I can connect with you directly and give you a CP login to take a look. 
    Thanks! Joshua
     Sent: Monday, May 11, 2015 5:46 AM
     Subject: Re: Any way to use Better Workflow with Postmaster Entry Notification? [Questions #2886]

#yiv2131537378 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv2131537378 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Iain Bean on 12 May, 2015 01:42 PM

Hi Joshua,

Nothing in that screenshot looks like the obvious culprit. I think we're going to need to take a look in the Control Panel to work out what's going on.

If you send the CP access details in an email to [email blocked] then I'll take a look.

Many thanks,
    Iain

6. 6 Posted by Joshua McLemore on 13 May, 2015 12:33 PM

Hello Iain,
    I'm happy to have you take a look but your email address  shows "[email blocked]".  Joshua
     Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 8:45 AM

#yiv3201298479 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv3201298479 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Iain Bean on 13 May, 2015 01:30 PM

Hi Joshua,

Sorry about that. I've just sent you an email.

Best Wishes,
    Iain

8. 8 Posted by Dan Kingsley on 06 Jun, 2016 08:05 PM

Hi, Did this get sorted at all? I seem to be running in to the same issues, so would love to know where this got to and if there was a solution at all.

Thanks,
    Dan

9. 9 Posted by Joshua McLemore on 06 Jun, 2016 08:11 PM

Hi Dan,

No, I ended up just removing BWF from the channels I'm using here and made it where I can view the pages no matter their status if I'm logged in. That was done in the template.

Sadly, we never did connect on figuring out what was happening here. Sorry for the lack of assistance.

Joshua

10. 10 Posted by Dan Kingsley on 06 Jun, 2016 08:27 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Joshua. Maybe I'll see if I can get in touch with Iain again and take it forward! Unfortunately turning off BWF isn't really an option since we are using it manage entry submissions.

Thanks,
    Dan

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac